Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Bit of What I Do

So, I had what I felt like was an interesting philosophy assignment this week. It is kind of long so you may or may not feel like reading the whole thing, but since I found it interesting to do I thought others might find it interesting to look at the assignment and how I responded to it. Also, if anyone is brave enough to work through the whole thing, I would be interested in hearing their thoughts and opinions.

As a disclaimer, I did end up working on this several hours after I usually call it quits on homework for night. My brain starts to rapidly lose functionality after nine or ten o'clock where my studies are concerned, but hopefully I come across as at least kind of intelligent.

Then, as another side note, I can't seem to change the formatting here... I've tried putting spaces between my paragraphs and the updating the post, but it resets itself back to the way it is now... so I apologize if it seems crowded or hard to read. I did my best to fix it, and my best wasn't good enough.
 

Anyway, enjoy!

Here is the set up given in my assignment...


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

General Introduction (read this first)
It’s the year 2025.  The Earth is under attack by an alien race known as the Vogons, who wish to destroy Earth to make way for an Interstellar Super Highway. You have been chosen as part of a contingent that will carry on the human race by traveling to another solar system which contains an earth-like planet called Krypton, a planet that by all indications is capable of sustaining human life.  You will have to make three major decisions along the way. 
At each decision point you will be presented with two choices, and each time you should choose the option that gives YOU, individually, the best chance of survival.   By this I mean that you should choose the option in which you are least likely to die (You’re not worried about survival here in the sense of life after death.  You want to make decisions that will keep you alive). Also, you should not take quality of life into consideration here—just make the choice that is most likely to keep you alive, no matter how poor your quality of life may be.  You will then describe why you made that choice.  Each of these decisions confronts you with a major question about personal identity and what it means for you as a person to survive.  So, think carefully about each of your decisions. 


Scenario #1:   Spaceship or Teletransporter?

The first decision concerns how you will travel to Krypton.  There are two possible methods of transport.  First, scientists have constructed an incredible spaceship similar to the Space Shuttle (but much bigger) that will carry up to 100 people comfortably to Krypton, with plenty of oxygen, water, food, opportunity for exercise, entertainment, etc. (think of the Axiom, the spaceship in the movie Wall-E).  The trip will take approximately three years.  Due to the great length of the trip, there are many dangers.  Lots of things could go wrong (oxygen tanks could rupture, you could be hit by interstellar debris, some illness could befall you for which you have no cure, etc.).  The best scientific minds on Earth estimate that you would have about a 70% chance of surviving the trip to Krypton via spaceship.  
The second option is a recent technological development called teletransportation.  Here’s how it works (pay attention to how it works—it may be different than what you’ve heard before about teletransportation, say, from Star Trek).  The teletransporter performs a complete scan of your body, atom for atom, molecule for molecule, to capture all the physical information about you.  This scan actually destroys all the molecules of your body while simultaneously shooting a beam of energy carrying all the information about the physical structure of your body to the planet Krypton.  The beam of energy arrives on Krypton, where the energy causes existing molecules on Krypton to be arranged exactly like your body on earth (it’s like being “raised from the dust of Krypton”).  The whole process (from the beginning of the scan to the assembling of molecules on Krypton) is virtually instantaneous (let’s just ignore limitations imposed by the speed of light, etc.  It’s my example after all!).
Teletransportation has been tried on human beings on earth thousands of times.  After some initial problems (disintegrations, people emerging with arms on the top of their heads, etc.), the process is now virtually perfect.  For the last ten years covering thousands of cases, in every case the person emerging from the transportation process is an exact physical match to the person entering the transporter. Furthermore, the person that emerges from transportation appears to be an exact psychological match.  This means she has all the same memories, beliefs, hopes, personality, etc. as the person who entered the teletransporter.  The person emerging describes the experience as such. “I have a memory of stepping into the transporter, I saw a bright flash of light before me and then the next thing I knew I was in a completely new place.”  Also, friends and loved ones of the post-transport individual always report nothing out of the ordinary about the subject upon completion of the process – the person recognizes her friends and family and has completely normal conversations with them.  Friends of the patient who did not know she had undergone transportation are unable to tell that it has ever taken place.   The post-transport person reports having all the same beliefs, desires, hopes, and dreams as before transportation.  All the top minds working on transportation believe that transportation to Krypton will be just as successful as transportation on earth (there is absolutely no reason to think it would not be). 

What will you do? The Ship or the Teletransporter?  Why?

Scenario #2:   Vaccine or Silicon Replacement

So let’s assume you’ve made it to Krypton.  At first it’s not so bad.  The planet is very much like earth, though without pollution, deforestation, reality TV, and other ugly things mankind has done to earth.  In a way you feel as if you are in a new “Garden of Eden.”  But after a few weeks you discover that life on Krypton is not a bed of roses! Many of your party start exhibiting a marked decrease in powers. Eventually this malaise affects all of you.  Your speed, your strength, and even your mental powers of memory, reasoning, etc. are being sapped.  Your group begins to refer to this as the “reverse Superman” effect.  Some of you are starting to be rather forgetful – forgetting other people’s names, even forgetting some basic things about your past.  The scientists among you determine that Krypton’s sun has an extremely detrimental effect on all carbon-based life forms – it causes all carbon molecules to slowly decay.  Left untreated, this condition, over a period of just a couple of years, will lead to the complete wasting away of your bodies, your minds, and eventually death.  Your science team has not lost all hope forever—they surmise there are two things that might be done to reverse this condition. 
First, they have developed a vaccine that might reverse the effects of Krypton’s sun.  If it works, it will immediately stop the decay process and you will gradually be restored to complete health.  However, they are not overly optimistic about the vaccine’s working on each person. Whether the vaccine will work in you depends upon myriad aspects of your genetic make-up; however, the scientists do not have the ability to test your genetic makeup and predict whether the drug will work.  The general thinking is that the vaccine will work in around 50% of those who take it. 
Your other option is much more radical, and this is to undergo silicon replacement of all your body parts.  Silicon (not silicone—that is something completely different!)  is an element similar to carbon that behaves very much like carbon, and could easily serve as a basis for biological life. Over a period of one month, you will undergo a series of four surgeries in which different parts of your carbon-based brain will be replaced by a silicon part.  Then, after your last surgery, your entire brain will be transplanted into an artificial silicon body, which will be constructed to look very much like you and will be functionally equivalent to a human body (i.e., capable of pretty much everything a human body is capable of).  As with transportation, this silicon replacement process has been tried on humans before.  Each time, upon waking from each of the four brain surgeries, the subject reports having all the same beliefs and memories she had before surgery, and interacts the same with family and friends.  And the same is true of the subject whose brain is transplanted into a silicon body.  
You can only choose one of the options.  Taking the vaccine and waiting to see whether it will work eliminates the possibility of doing the silicon replacements (you’ll die too soon). 

What will you do? Why?

Scenario #3:   Your mind wiped clean?
So let’s suppose you’ve made it to Krypton and survived the “Reverse Superman Effect”.  Things are fine and dandy until you discover that, despite what you previously believed, there are other people on Krypton.  And human beings at that—who speak English (albeit with some kind of accent to indicate they are the bad guys)!  One day you find your camp suddenly surrounded on all sides by thousands of these Kryptonians. It turns out they are not hostile and wish you no harm; they just want to “assimilate you” to their society.  What this means is the following—you will be given a drug that puts you to sleep, wipes your mind clean, and “installs” new memories, beliefs, desires, and the like.  After taking the drug, your body will be perfectly healthy and unaffected, but the person that wakes up will have no memory of earth or of any of the hopes, beliefs, desires, likes, dislikes, etc., she had before the drug was taken.  Rather, the person who awakes will believe she is a Kryptonian, born and raised on Krypton, and have myriad “memories” of her life on Krypton, along with a very different personality, hopes, and desires.  
But the Kryptonians are a rather fair-minded lot.  They don’t want to force anyone to take the drug.  They inform you that you can, if you wish, choose to be banished to the Kryptonian desert.  If you make this choice, your mental life will be left entirely intact, but you’ll be forced to traverse the desert.  The Krypotonians tell you that on the other side of the desert, which extends for hundreds of miles, is a virtual paradise where you will be able to live happily.  However, the Kryptonians tell you that you have at best a 10% chance of making it across the desert without dying. 
What will you do?  The drug or the desert?  Why?
Final Summary Section

You have made three decisions about personal identity.  I want you to evaluate your own decisions.  Did any of your decisions change as you moved along?  In other words, did thinking about a later decision make you change a former decision?  Why was this? 

Do you believe all of your decisions are consistent?  In other words, have you used consistent criteria in making your decisions?  Can you identify what criteria you have used? 

Finally, can you give a one or two sentence summary of what YOU actually are?  What is absolutely essential to you?  Is it your body, your mind, both, something else?  Do your decisions make it clear to you?

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And here is my response... 



Part I: How to Reach Krypton
            Based on the description of the Teletransporter (Henceforth called the TT), the likelihood of it doing what it is supposed to is almost 100%. Which means the probability of success for the TT is 30% greater than it is for the Axiom equivalent. As a result, if the TT performs the goal of keeping me alive properly, then it is the logical choice as my means of transportation. The question then, of course, is whether or not I will survive using the TT. Since we are assuming the TT has an almost 100% chance of success the question of survival then comes down to whether or not it is actually me that would end up on Krypton or if I would cease to exist. Since the TT apparently sends the information about my physical form to Krypton, but not necessarily the actual atoms that make up my body, the physical form that would end up on Krypton with my likeness and conscience would be made up of entirely different material substance than that which currently makes up my body. 
            However, by all accounts, it seems like the mind or conscience operating the new physical form (identical to the one I currently have but made up of entirely different stuff) would be also identical to my own. So then the question becomes one of whether or not it is my physical form that is the primary foundation of my “self” or my mind, memories, and conscience. Honestly, it is more or less the Rodd, Maud, and Todd or Sili-Me question from the very beginning of class. What causes me to be myself, and what has to be changed to make me no longer exist? 
            If I were to lose a limb, or two, or three, or even four, I would still be considered the same person I am now… more or less. True, my appearance and capacity to accomplish certain tasks would be diminished, but my family and my friends would still consider me to be me. Similarly, my doctors would still expect payment from me as if I were the same person they removed tainted limbs from, and the law would still consider me to by myself such that I wouldn’t have to re-register to vote or re-sign up for the draft (ignoring the fact that I would be incapable of serving in the military).  If somehow I managed to survive losing almost my entire body while maintain my intelligence, sense of self, ability to communicate with others, I would still be considered to be me. True, we are faced with the fact that using the TT would completely destroy my entire prior physical form and if my entire physical form were destroyed by some other means without my conscience being transported to another body, we would consider me to be dead and gone, but my point is that a very substantial portion of my physical form could be lost or altered without most people considering my “self” to be gone. 
            Additionally, I can’t think of another possible measureable foundation for my “self” than my body or my mind. As a result, I feel that I must conclude that my “self” is based not on my body but on my conscience, my mind, and my memories. If not completely, at least to a greater extent than it is based on my body. Because of this, my primary goal in attempting to survive (assuming that survival is maintaining my “self”) should be not to maintain my body but my mind. If I use the TT there is a 100% chance that my body as it is will be destroyed and only a 30% chance of the same happening if I take the Axiom equivalent. However, my mind seems to have a near 100% chance of survival if I use the TT and only a 70% chance if I take the Axiom. Consequently, I feel that I should use the TT over the transport. 
Part II: The Reverse Superman Effect  
            For this portion we are faced with the fact that our mind, conscience, and memories, which we identified in the last portion as being the most likely foundation for the “self” we are trying to keep alive, is actively deteriorating. In order to combat this we have two potential options with some similarities to the options we had for getting to Krypton in the first place. One option has a chance of keeping us alive more or less the same as we are now while the other also has a chance of keeping us alive but at the cost of our entire body being destroyed and recreated. The two most notable differences are that the percentage chance of success for the less extreme option has dropped from 70% to 50%, and the method of destroying and rebuilding my body is actually more extreme than before because it will result in my body actually being made up of a different kind of substance. In the previous example, or reformed body was explained to be identical to our current one in that all of the building blocks and materials forming it were of exactly the same type as original. In this example, the Silicon treatment would change the makeup of my body into something very different in some ways from its current state.
            Just as with the first problem, if the surgery has the inexplicitly assumed success rate of 100% that the problem indicates it does and manages to keep my “self” alive, it is the obvious choice because it would have 100% chance of success as opposed to the 50% chance of success that the other method has. The drop in probability of success for the less radical treatment actually doesn’t change the outcome of the problem at all, because I am still faced with a 0% percent chance of survival for one option and a more than 0% chance of survival for the other if what matters in keeping my “self” alive is keeping my body alive, and a 100% chance of success for one option and a less than 100% chance of success for the other if it is my mind that matters. 
            Against, just as before, the answer seems obvious if we can distinguish between whether my mind or body is the primary thing we want to keep alive. Even though the silicon surgery will more dramatically change my body than when I used the TT, if my body is not what my “self” is based on, that fact shouldn’t be a determinant in my decision making. Going back to the loss of body parts example I gave previously, if I had the majority of my body replaced with artificial limbs, but continued to be the same person mentally and emotionally somehow, friends, family, legal entities, and my medical personal would all consider me to be the same person. As a result, I am led once again to conclude that transforming my body into a different kind of substance would not actually destroy my “self” and for the same reasons that I chose to use the TT as opposed to taking the transport, I would chose the surgery over the antidote. 
Part III: The Kryptonian Ultimatum 
            In Part III we are faced with a scenario very different from the previous two in some notable ways. First, the option with a 100% chance of success is not one that destroys our body but maintains our mind, but rather one that maintains our body and destroys our mind complete. Likewise, the option with a specified non-100% chance of successes is our only option for keeping our conscience completely intact (assuming we do not go mad in the dessert). 
            I would like to propose once again that the difference in percentages does not actually have a notable impact on my decision making. The question will still come down to what part of our “self” is it that we are most ardently trying to keep alive, and if we can answer that question our answer will be obvious. Why? Because once again, we will either be faced with one option that either gives a 100% chance of survival or a 0% chance of survival. 
            Interestingly enough, my body isn’t necessarily specifically at risk in this situation. True, my body will be dead if I die in the dessert, but so will my mind and everything else about me as well. 
            So, in essence, I still only have to return to my original reasoning that led me to believe that my mind, memories, and conscience are what I want to maintain above else, to determine that I should go through the dessert. True, this time I don’t actually have a 100% chance of success if I go with the option that maintains my mind as I did before, but the 10% chance I do have is significantly better than the 0% chance of keeping my mind if I were to take the drug being offered. 
            There is something worth considering though, that isn’t specifically addressed within the question. While the set up for the question seems to give the impression that there is no way that I could ever regain the memories, mind, and conscience that I had before taking the drug, if there was in fact a chance somehow of returning to the same mental, and emotional state prior to taking the drug, I would have to reconsider my decision based on how likely that return would be and if at that time I would have a greater chance of getting across the dessert. Since there doesn’t seem to be a chance of regaining my memories ever however, I would have to go with the attempting to cross the dessert. 
            Also, it may be worthwhile to note that my above average intellect, physical prowess, and all around superiority to others would likely give me more than a 10% chance of success in crossing the dessert. 
Part IV: Summery of Thoughts
            I feel fairly confident that I remained consistent and reasonable in my rationale throughout the exercise even if my reasons and perception of things was faulty. Starting with the first scenario I established what I felt were the key criteria and applied them to all three situations despite changes in what was going on. 
            The main problem with the reasoning I applied, as I see it, is that I don’t actually think my “self” is based solely on my mind. Rather, I do believe that humans have a soul that is separate from their memories and consciences and that would continue to exist even in light of memory loss, total physical destruction, or a coma. The problem with trying to apply that belief to this argument is that I cannot identify a way of testing whether or not the soul would remain after any of the potential processes. I cannot evaluate or confidently stipulate about the location of the soul after a TT has been used, or after a silicon surgery has been performed, because I cannot confidently identify what the exact characteristics of the soul are and how it reveals itself. One, because I don’t think I’ve seen what a living person absent a soul looks like, and two because the processes presented in our scenarios aren’t not real and we have no way of extensively examining a product of such a situation. 
            As a result, I was going off of the assumption that our souls have something to do with our personalities, the way we think and reason, and what kind of a person we are. If that is true, than the soul is actually linked to the mind even if they are separate things, and because I do believe that is the case, I went with the options that I felt were most likely to keep the mind intact in hopes that the soul would follow the mind over the body. 
            It was a little bit more difficult to come up with a solution around the soul in the last scenario, because I believe that a person retains their soul even when they enter into a comma or suffer amnesia and the effects of the drug seem somewhat comparable to something like that. However, since, as I already stated, I have no way of evaluating whether or not the soul is present on its own, and since I chose to use the presence of the mind, memories, and conscience as my standard for the other two options, I felt it was necessary to use the same standard for the last scenario. While I didn’t feel satisfied in my reasoning, I couldn’t come up with a better method, and so used the option that seemed the best given what I felt I had to work with.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment